[cfe-dev] Announcing: LLVM 2.9 Tentative Release Schedule

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Tue Feb 15 21:34:34 PST 2011

Hello LLVMers!

Amazingly, it's been 4 months since the release of LLVM 2.8. And so much has changed since then! April will be six months since the previous release, so it's time to start thinking about LLVM 2.9!

Here is a tentative schedule for the release (and, of course, our schedules never slip):

  March 6th            - Branch for release.
  March 7th-14th       - Testing Phase 1
  March 14th-21st      - Preparation for Phase 2 (fixing bugs, merging patches)
  March 21st-28th      - Testing Phase 2
  March 28th-April 3rd - Preparation for release
  April 3rd            - Release

So there are roughly three weeks to finish off any new features for LLVM 2.9. After Phase 1 starts, no new features will be accepted. After Phase 2 starts, all new features must be completed; only critical bug fixes will be accepted after Phase 2.

As we get closer towards March 6th, I'll send out further announcements warning people of the impending branching and further outlining our patch-acceptance policy.

Please let me know if you have any comments or concerns about this schedule.

Share and enjoy!
-bw