[cfe-dev] blocks and lambdas

James Gregurich bayoubengal at me.com
Tue Feb 8 23:57:34 PST 2011

I'm not interested in stepping on anyone's favorite technology. If you love Blocks and gnustep that is wonderful!

lambdas are part of the C++0x standard. Therefore, it is a mechanism all C++ compiler vendors will eventually support. My company does commercial desktop development and the "cross-platform" that matters to us is Macintosh gcc/clang and Visual-C++. It is highly unlikely that Microsoft will ever support Blocks (they don't even support C99)...particularly given they have already implemented lambda support in VC++. Therefore, it is in my interest to make sure Apple's tools offer first-class support for as many standard C++ technologies as possible so that my development burden is eased. I envision that lambdas will be a big part of my future and I wanted find out what direction clang is taking on lambda support.

-James

Sent from my iPad