[cfe-dev] blocks and lambdas

Michael Price - Dev michael.b.price.dev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 03:41:57 PST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 4:00 AM, David Chisnall <csdavec at swan.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2011, at 07:57, James Gregurich wrote:
>
>> I'm not interested in stepping on anyone's favorite technology. If
>> you love Blocks and gnustep that is wonderful!
>>
>> lambdas are part of the C++0x standard. Therefore, it is a
>> mechanism all C++ compiler vendors will eventually support. My
>> company does commercial desktop development and the "cross-
>> platform" that matters to us is Macintosh gcc/clang and Visual-C++.
>> It is highly unlikely that Microsoft will ever support Blocks (they
>> don't even support C99)...particularly given they have already
>> implemented lambda support in VC++. Therefore, it is in my interest
>> to make sure Apple's tools offer first-class support for as many
>> standard C++ technologies as possible so that my development burden
>> is eased. I envision that lambdas will be a big part of my future
>> and I wanted find out what direction clang is taking on lambda
>> support.
>

> <snip>
> Unless you could persuade the C++ committee to break with tradition
> and specify an ABI, and specify that ABI to be compatible with the
> existing, deployed, blocks ABI, then this is not feasible.

And that is highly unlikely since the committee has already issued the
Final Committee Draft and is technically not allowed to add new
features. I guess you could wait another 5-10 years though.  I believe
proposals are always welcome.

http://herbsutter.com/2010/12/08/trip-report-november-2010-c-standards-meeting/