[cfe-dev] Announcing include-what-you-use 0.1

Francois Pichet pichet2000 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:46:12 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Craig Silverstein <csilvers at google.com> wrote:
> I am very pleased to announce the version 0.1 release of
> include-what-you-use:
>   http://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/
>
> Include-what-you-use is a tool built on top of clang libraries, that
> analyzes a C++ (or C) file to figure out what #includes are actually
> needed.  It then lists the set of changes needed to get the file to
> have minimal, direct #includes, that reflect the symbols the file
> actual uses.
>
> Include-what-you-use is a hard problem
> (http://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/wiki/WhyIWYUIsDifficult),
> so the results are not yet perfect.  But this is an ideal crowd to
> make them more so!  (Especially since my knowledge of clang internals
> is still pretty rudimentary, to say nothing of the dark, dusty corners
> of C++.)  Feel free to play around with iwyu, and to submit patches to
> improve it!
>
> craig

I  would really really like to see this lib included directly in the
main clang svn repository, it would be easier to maintain, attract
developers and keep up to date. I think the scope of iwuy is general
purpose enough to justify it.

My first comment is that this lib really needs a CMake makefile.
I really want to build this thing using MSVC.