[cfe-dev] Announcing include-what-you-use 0.1

Craig Silverstein csilvers at google.com
Fri Feb 4 14:38:58 PST 2011

I am very pleased to announce the version 0.1 release of
include-what-you-use:
   http://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/

Include-what-you-use is a tool built on top of clang libraries, that
analyzes a C++ (or C) file to figure out what #includes are actually
needed.  It then lists the set of changes needed to get the file to
have minimal, direct #includes, that reflect the symbols the file
actual uses.

Include-what-you-use is a hard problem
(http://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/wiki/WhyIWYUIsDifficult),
so the results are not yet perfect.  But this is an ideal crowd to
make them more so!  (Especially since my knowledge of clang internals
is still pretty rudimentary, to say nothing of the dark, dusty corners
of C++.)  Feel free to play around with iwyu, and to submit patches to
improve it!

craig