[cfe-dev] Help getting started

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Sat Dec 31 19:10:56 PST 2011

Hi all,

I'm interested in implementing a C++ syntax extension, described here:
http://cpp-next.com/archive/2011/11/having-it-all-pythy-syntax/.  The
idea is that it would be a pure syntax extension for function
templates. With a little help from a C++ grammar expert, I have the
grammar productions written out already.  What's not clear to me now,
though, is what approach to take in implementing it.  One possibility is
to reimplement the code for parsing function templates, but that code
does a *lot* more than merely parsing.  Another approach I can think of
is to modify the existing function template parsing code to handle this
alternate syntax in parallel, but that looks hard.  Any advice
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--
Dave Abrahams