[cfe-dev] Reading contents of Comments or any other Token

Larry Olson loarabia at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:57:45 PST 2011

Hi all,
I love that clang and llvm make it possible for folks like me to create tools that have a deeper understanding of C, C++, and ObjC. For instance, I used clang to write a tool that helped me normalize headers when porting code across platforms. Clang and llvm were easy to get into and well documented. Thanks for the work you all do.
I have a question for you though.
Brief Summary of the rest of the email:2 Questions1. Is there an intended way of getting the contents of a token from just the SourceRange?2. Should I be asking the SourceManager for a Buffer for a given FileID and then adjusting pointers into that buffer bast on the Offset of that FileID?

More detailsI was considering what it would take to build a doxygen like tool using Clang and found the CommentHandler object and its virtual, HandleComments( Preprocessor, SourceRange). However, I was a bit stuck when I tried to go from the SourceRange to the actual contents of the comment.
I looked at what PPCallback and ASTConsumers offer but didn't see anything that would lead me to believe I should've expected more data from the CommentHandler. I looked at old code I had written  that used the Rewriter but that didn't feel right because I don't want to Rewrite the comment, I want to parse its contents. So then I started looking around frontend actions that spit out data or modify the guts of a buffer. Eventually I stumbled across the HTMLPrintAction and its corresponding HTMLPrinter.
Inside of HTMLPrinter I noticed the AddLineNumbers method which was performing manipulations based on a raw MemoryBuffer which looked about right. It eventually led me to this prototype code:
/// Write out the entire comment based on the source range.bool IndentingCommentHandler::HandleComment(Preprocessor &pp, SourceRange rng){    FileID FID = pp.getSourceManager().getMainFileID();    const llvm::MemoryBuffer *MB = pp.getSourceManager().getBuffer(FID);
    int size = rng.getEnd().getRawEncoding() - rng.getBegin().getRawEncoding();    char *Buff = (char *)calloc(size+1, sizeof(char));
    const char *itBeg = MB->getBufferStart();    const char *itEnd = MB->getBufferStart();
    unsigned int offset = pp.getSourceManager().getLocForStartOfFile(FID).getRawEncoding();
    // Adjust pointers to account for the FileID's offset in the Source manager.    itBeg -= offset;    itEnd -= offset;
    // Adjust pointers relative to where the comment actually begins and ends    for( int i = 0; i < rng.getBegin().getRawEncoding(); i++)    {        ++itBeg;        ++itEnd;    }
    for( int i = 0; i < size; ++i)    {        ++itEnd;    }
    std::copy(itBeg, itEnd, Buff);    std::cout << "=============================" << std::endl;    std::cout << Buff << std::endl;    free(Buff);    return false;}

This seems to work for a few test cases I've tried it against but also felt a bit verbose. I'm wondering, did I do something stupid? Did I overlook a better or more proper way of this?
Many thanks for any help and guidance,Larry Olson(https://github.com/loarabia)