[cfe-dev] clang ignoring global function declaration depending on include/declaration order

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:11:23 PST 2011

Hi,

> I have a problem compiling a code with clang (3.0) that worked with
> gcc-4.2. I found this thread
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2011-June/015527.html and this
> is exactly the problem I have.

Did you find/read the linked article from that post (
http://clang.llvm.org/compatibility.html#dep_lookup ) it seems pretty
comprehensive.

> Unfortunately, I don't understand how I
> should change the (source) code. It would be great if you can send me a
> small example that would compile with gcc, but not with clang and how you
> have to improve it that it will compile with clang as well [if you got this
> error message: call to function 'operator<<' that is neither visible in the
> template definition nor found by argument dependent lookup]. That would be
> of great help.

Beyond the examples given on the compatibility page I'm not sure what
other general advice I can offer. Have a read over it & if you have
other questions it would be helpful if you could provide an example
you are grappling with.

- David