[cfe-dev] Tree transformation in clang

Vassil Vassilev vasil.georgiev.vasilev at cern.ch
Thu Dec 1 06:03:42 PST 2011

Hi,
   TreeTransform is part of the "curiously recurring template pattern"
used all around in clang.
You could define your own transformation that uses that pattern. It is
very efficient because it
allows to have sort-of inheritance without having vtables.
Example code you can find in:
/lib/Sema/SemaTemplateInstantiate.cpp
/lib/Sema/SemaTemplateDeduction.cpp
/lib/Sema/SemaTemplate.cpp
However, TreeTransform is not public interface...

There were a lot of changes in it recently and maybe my experience is
old-dated but
I tried to use it once and I had hard time when I wanted to replace one
node with 2 or more
nodes or when I tried to remove nodes. For 1:1 transformation I think is
very good interface, though.

Talking about optimizations: Have you consider the LLVM bitcode - it is
SSA based and IMHO
is much more suitable for optimizations?

Vassil