[cfe-dev] libc++ and the Intel compiler

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Thu Aug 25 09:09:43 PDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Guy Davidson wrote:

> I work on OSX and Windows platforms and must use the Intel compiler.  Assuming it’s necessary for standard runtime library support, I would like to build libc++ on the OSX platform using the Intel compiler.  This seems non-trivial at first glance: changing $CXX to icc and running ./buildit yields a pile of errors in algorithm.cpp and compilation is aborted.

I would be interested in the first few errors, and may be able to shed some light on them.

> Has anyone tried this?

Not to the best of my knowledge.  Though efforts exist in porting libc++ to other environments.

>  Is it a fool’s errand or is it a worthwhile use of time expanding the range of compilers that can build libc++?

I do not think it is a fool's errand, especially if you're targeting OS X.  The most difficult part of porting libc++ is dealing with OS issues, not compiler issues.

>  Is anyone already on it, and if so would you like some help?

I'm not aware of anyone, but I'd love to be surprised by someone else speaking up here. :-)  As libc++ is open source, we would love to have someone such as yourself working this area.  I don't have access to icc, but am happy to interpret error messages and offer suggestions.

Howard