[cfe-dev] (no subject)

tmcclory at mail.eecis.udel.edu tmcclory at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Tue Aug 23 08:54:32 PDT 2011

Our group has been working on a clang plugin.  Using clang's plugin
facility has been a pleasant experience.  But we'd now like to transition
to building a standalone executable.  I have a few questions:

1.  A PluginASTAction allows us to attach our ASTConsumer to a
CompilerInstance by overriding the virtual function CreateASTConsumer.  My
impression is that we will now need to manually initialize a
CompilerInstance and then use setASTConsumer to attach our ASTConsumer.
Is this the correct approach?

2. If we're only using a small subset of llvm/clang libraries, can we
expect the executable size to be significantly ( >50%) smaller than the
clang binary?  I realize it's hard to answer this question without seeing
our code.

Thanks.