[cfe-dev] Building LLVM+Clang with Clang+libc++

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:14:59 PDT 2011

I'm attempting to selfhost clang (& libc++) & running into what I
assume are some fairly simple problems (on Ubuntu linux - after using
symlinks to work around some weird binary/include placement in
Ubuntu). Running the following configure command:

    ../../../../llvm/configure --enable-optimized --disable-assertions
--prefix=/home/dblaikie/Development/llvm/clean/install/x86-32/Release/llvm
--with-built-clang CXXFLAGS=-stdlib=libc++

I have previously configured this same path without clang (same
command, bar the last two arguments), built, installed, and built
libc++ from that installed build (libc++ is 'installed' as per the
recommendations - symlinking into the system paths, so it should be
accessible. My simple command line experiments seem to confirm this).

My intent is to reconfigure as above, rebuild, reinstall, rebuild
libc++, and at that point I should be fully self hosting on a clang
build built with clang/libc++.

When I run the above configure command, I get the attached config.log.
The final few lines of output are:

configure:13392: checking LLVM capable compiler
configure:13410: result: clang
configure:13415: checking tool compatibility
configure:13438: error: g++|clang++|icc required but not found

Looking at the configure script itself I'm having difficulty
understanding how it checks for clang. The if check that is failing &
printing this error checks only GXX and IXX, nothing clang related,
but I assume somewhere along the way the clang & gcc paths are merged
given clang's drop-in-replacement-for-gcc design, but I can't find
that point.

Any pointers to documentation on how to do this would be great.

Thanks,
- David