[cfe-dev] Expanding the Clang Status page to report the status of several OSes and projects

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 04:37:10 PDT 2011

Hi,

I just noticed that the table listing projects and Clang compatibility
was recently removed. This idea still has a lot of merit, and has been
breeding in my mind for several days.

I would like to provide test result data for several popular and high
quality open source libraries that provide an extensive test suite so
the compiled result is strictly analysed. I would do this on Windows
(mingw-w64 CRT+ GCC 4.6 libstdc++ and linker), but I would like this
to be more than a single email to the mailing list.

To this effect, I thought that perhaps expanding the first table that
was on http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html could be expanded
significantly, in vertical (projects) and horizontal
(platforms=OS+arch(+crt in the case of Windows)).

Although I believe that Clang is production ready on Mac OS, it is far
from my elementary trust in the Windows MinGW world. Therefore, I
think it is useful to keep track of wide-scale progress in a
centralized place, because I feel the bugtracker doesn't get enough
attention (at least the problems I am experiencing ;-)).

Concretely, I suggest a larger table with colors like the C++0x table,
with red = doesn't build, orange/yellow: builds, but tests fail due to
a problem in clang (which also means that the tests pass for GCC), and
green is that it builds and all tests pass without a hitch. Links
could be placed to bug reports about the issue, where detailed
information for interested developers could be placed.

The libraries I suggest that should be used as a "quality mark" are
(more are of course welcome!):

Qt: Huge GUI and core library framework. High quality code that is
extremely cross-platform. Has an internal test suite, but I haven't
yet figured out how to run it (I can't as the build fails on Windows)
wxWidgets: that other tadbit less huge GUI and core framework. Also
high quality code.
GSL: GNU Scientific library: comprehensive test suite.
FFTW: Known around the world, comprehensive test suite
Eigen: idem
Flac: idem
GMP, MPFR, MPC, PPL, CLooG: very fragile and comprehensive libraries.
Also all feature a nice test suite.
Perhaps all the open source graphics libraries (Tiff, png, jpeg, turbojpeg...)

What do you guys think? I do not know HTML, so the table editing would
have to be almost trivial for me to get it done :s. I can test
regularly and see if certain revisions fix the problem (on Windows).

Ruben