[cfe-dev] clang performance when building Linux

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:50:55 PDT 2011

Hi,

I did a performance profile of clang while building Linux kernel.
The difference is not much compared to gcc, clang with asserts off is a
bit faster than gcc, and with asserts on a bit slower.

Here is the 'perf report' for clang with asserts off:
https://gist.github.com/918497

Does anything there ring a bell to someone? Anything to be improved?

Most of that stuff looks like preprocessor to me, I thought that clang
is supposed to be faster than gcc there?

Also interesting is that getFileIDSlow shows up, which probably shouldn't.

Best regards,
--Edwin