[cfe-dev] cmake & vc++: clang vs. libclang woes

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Apr 11 18:55:08 PDT 2011

NAKAMURA Takumi <geek4civic at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>> It is a limitation in VS (both by design and by a bug.) It seems that
>> building a library and a executable with the same basename is not a good
>> idea when working with VS.
>
> Shall we implement "build on other directory and copy" scheme for ms toolchain?

That solution is tricky. We must deal with potential side-effects on the
installation process, for instance. We must copy the .pdb file
too.

> I don't prefer "libclang.lib" and "libclang.dll", nor "liblibclang.a".

The library name is not terribly bad, IMHO. What is undesirable is the
divergence with the configure&make build, as Ted notes. However, I'm
presupposing that the people who use cmake on Unix for building LLVM
also uses cmake for their projects, and currently I don't know of anyone
using cmake for distributing a LLVM-based project or LLVM itself to the
public. So there is little room for a mismatch on the user's part.