[cfe-dev] GSoC Project(s) ideas

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Apr 11 17:44:18 PDT 2011

On Apr 2, 2011, at 8:54 AM, Simone Pellegrini wrote:

> Hello,
> I am interested in participating to this year's GSoC. My idea is to
> bring proof of concept prototypes which I have implemented over time
> in Clang to the main code base. I would like to propose a couple of
> projects, but before I wanted to hear from the community if there is a
> real interest or not.
>
> 1) Advanced Clang pragma handling: I would like to propose an
> extension to the current handling of pragmas which will (hopefully)
> make life much easier for people who wants to define new pragmas.
> Basically the system I am thinking of provides an easy way for the
> user to specify new type of pragmas (basically stealing some of the
> ideas of the Spirit Boost parser) and the machinery to automatically
> attach pragmas to statements. Once the system is integrated, the idea
> is to realize OpenMP frontend which is yet not available in Clang.

I think this would make an interesting proposal, especially since people often want to add new #pragmas to Clang and introduce them into the AST.

OpenMP would be a good test of advanced Clang pragma handling. If you're going to propose OpenMP, be sure to specify the intended limitations---e.g., you might want to tackle semantic analysis and AST representation but not actually try to generate IR for any particular OpenMP runtime.

> 2) Polyhedral model extraction: the idea is simple if you are familiar
> with the polyhedral model to describe loops in a program. This is
> actually something that already exists in LLVM (Polly) but extracting
> these kind of information from the C/C++ code would make possible to
> have dependency analysis at the source code level (which is nice for
> auto-parallelization). Also here I have a working prototype which
> needs some work to be done to make it stable.

I, personally, am not terribly interested in this project.

	- Doug