[cfe-dev] LLVM/.Clang: 'make' freeze ?

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:27:32 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-10 22:38, John Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to build llvm/clang from source, but at the point
> where the make reaches ' llvm[4]: Linking Debug+Asserts executable
> clang', it seems that the make just seems to freeze or become

Try a release build, it needs less disk space and RAM to link.
And unless you intend to cross-compile, try --enable-targets=host-only.

> unresponsive. When it reaches this point, almost no CPU/IO activity
> seems to take place, and yet the 'make' does not seem to progress any
> further either. Ive been waiting/watching at this point for quite some
> time now. In comparison, the 'linking' steps have taken more time than
> the 'compiling' steps, but this is getting ridiculous. Should this
> step really take a long time on a linux/fedora box ? Like, hours ? Is

No, shouldn't take hours, it takes 6m 44s here to do a full
debug+asserts build of clang, out of which 1m is spent linking clang.

What version of gcc and binutils are you using?
See http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc

> something wrong with my system ? Or should I just let it run
> overnight, and see where we are tomorrow morning ?

How much RAM do you have?

Best regards,
--Edwin