[cfe-dev] Newbie needing some help for testing :)

Matthieu Monrocq matthieu.monrocq at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 06:41:54 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I am new to the LLVM and Clang projects and I just recently subscribed to
the mailing list.

I've been developping in C++ for 3 years now as a professional programmer
and I am quite excited about what C++0x brings up to the table. I develop on
Unix platforms at work (gcc-3.4.2, hopefully we'll soon move to gcc-4.3.2
but it takes time since we have a huge codebase) and on Windows at home
(Visual Studio 2010). Even though the website indicates Visual 2005 or 2008,
CMake successfully generated the project files for Visual 2010, so far so
good.

I am very interested in the Clang project and after contemplating the idea
for a while I decided to take the jump in and join the community, only time
will tell if I am able to contribute or not (I don't want to rush headless
into hacking before I understand at least the flow and the basics... unless
of course I can spot "obvious" bugs while perusing the code).

Anyway, even before I could help, I have a small issue: I just can't run the
tests correctly, which somehow prevents any kind of hacking.

The results are not catastrophic:

(using clang version 2.8 (trunk 113069))

  Expected Passes    : 2476
  Expected Failures  : 27
  Unsupported Tests  : 3
  Unexpected Failures: 17

but they are due to something stupid:

Failing Tests (17):
    Clang :: Analysis/complex.c

  Line 48: unknown type name '__w64'

When I try and use clang.EXE directly in Windows PowerShell, the extension
-fms-extensions is automatically switched on it seems, however when running
the tests it isn't, and therefore Clang fails to recognize the Windows
specific extensions when including the file:

#include <stdint.h>

which (because it detects it's hosted) includes Visual Studio's <stdint.h>
file.

I tried but could not find a way to indicate to the test script (lit.py) how
to add this flag. Perhaps there is some doc about it, but I didn't find it.

Since I know some people are testing on Windows here (Francois Pichet at the
very least should be given his patches), I would appreciate if someone could
either give me the solution or point me toward the right solution.

Thanks,
Matthieu.