[cfe-dev] Clang builds a working Linux Kernel (Boots to RL5 with SMP, networking and X, self hosts)

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Oct 26 07:57:34 PDT 2010

Bryce Lelbach wrote:
> Question: Are there any open source linkers out there aside from GNU ld, that
> aren't derived from GNU ld?
Yes - sun's ld is open source and works *very* well.  It supports
x86/amd64/sparc natively and I believe has also been ported to ARM and
ppc.  If anyone is serious about this (maybe some of the BSD folks) I'd
maybe be happy to find the cycles and create a standalone tarball.

Technically the new gold linker is written mostly by Google people.  I'd
not put it in the same category as most "GNU" tools, but it is bundled
with binutils and GPL.