[cfe-dev] A couple of questions about include search paths

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 13:34:38 PDT 2010

> I can't think of one too, but this is an area where it is probably
> better to have bug by bug compatibility with gcc. In fact, this was
> changed in 103912 so I assume the user had found a case where there
> was a dependency on the gcc way.

To summarize a offline discussion I had with Chandler. My option is
that by default clang should follow the system compiler. On windows it
should read the registry, on linux it should do what the system
compiler does. On every linux distro that I know that includes
searching /usr/local/include first.

If designing a new system, I would highly recommend trying to do
without /usr/local/include. But that is not the case on existing
systems.

I fully support having a run time or compile time option to change
this. Even better if it is easier to use than gcc's behaviour of doing
things differently if it is a cross compiler.

Cheers,
Rafael