[cfe-dev] PCH on Qt

Argyrios Kyrtzidis kyrtzidis at apple.com
Tue Oct 12 08:35:54 PDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:41 AM, İsmail Dönmez wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com> wrote:
> Qt uses gcc's PCH directory, where various PCH files (for different languages) are all emitted in a common 'precompiled_header.gch' directory and if you do
> "-include precompiled_header.h"
> all PCH files are considered in alphabetical order and the first suitable one is used.
>
> Do we want to support that ? It is complicated in our current architecture.
>
> A simpler way would be, when adding support for clang compiler in Qt's build system, to inform Qt about clang's PCH way.
> That would just need a '-include-pch' driver option so that Qt can just pass the PCH file that should be used (currently I "simulate" this using -Xclang -include-pch -Xclang filename).
>
> Just adding a clang specific mkspec to Qt sounds like a better idea.

Yep, for Qt this is much better.
I'm mainly asking whether we are interested in supporting PCH directories in general, so that clang can be a drop-in replacement for projects that use them. Though PCH directories doesn't seem to be much popular since there were no complains about not supporting them.