[cfe-dev] Run tests after building with CMake and Xcode?

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Oct 8 14:21:23 PDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Ryan Gerleve wrote:

> [snip]
>>>
>>> So it is needed to locate the point where the path to clang breaks. I
>>> don't have an OS/X machine, so can't help, sorry. My guess is that the
>>> problem happens in the `c-index-test' tool.
>>
>> You are correct. It's not a problem with CMake or lit; c-index-test uses the libclang shared library, which expects to find "clang" in ../bin/clang relatively to itself. It's actually a holdover from an old, to-be-deprecated API that implements some of the Clang C API via invocations of the clang binary.
>

> I am willing to help out with updating libclang to use
> an updated API (what API would that be? Linking with
> clang libraries directly instead of calling the binary?).
> But, I am new to clang development - would this be a
> good project with which to get my feet wet?

Sorry for the delayed response, but the short answer is "no", it's probably not a good first project. There's a bit of refactoring that needs to happen across a few different modules, which I don't think you want to tackle for your first project.

My usual recommendation for a first project is to take on an easy-looking bug in Bugzilla, usually something that improves diagnostics or fixes a crasher of some sort. Those changes are usually localized and easy to verify.

	- Doug