[cfe-dev] MSVC compiler intrinsics, need for direction.

Bo Persson bop at gmb.dk
Wed Oct 6 10:05:17 PDT 2010

Francois Pichet wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Francois Pichet wrote:
>>
>>> I did some research and it will be easier than I thought.
>>> With the exception of __noop and __assume (possibly more), MSVC
>>> intrinsics require a prototype.
>>> So they will be handled like normal functions by clang.
>>
>> Where does this prototype come from?
>
> #include <intrin.h>

Just a helpful(?) comment about intrin.h being larger for MSVC10 than
for MSVC8 or 9, and that not all of the functions are documented by
MSDN (or the Visual Studio help files).

This effort also obviously duplicates some of the work done by Howard
Hinnant to define a compiler API for C++0x <atomic>. Do we want
several intrinsic functions doing the same thing?

Bo Persson