[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

Ahmed Charles ahmedcharles at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:57:14 PDT 2010

> > That is not set in stone at this point.
>
> Ah, I'm very glad to hear it!
>
> > An "abi-versioned" debug mode is another possibility.
>
> Sounds intriguing. :)

VC2010 has pragma detect_mismatch for issues like this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee956429.aspx I'm sure it wouldn't
be too hard to implement, if the entire toolchain is LLVM.

I'm also curious as to why major versions of libstdc++ and libc++ (in the
future) would require ABI compatibility? Considering that MS breaks ABI
compatibility with each version, is there anything about the users of other
toolchains that make ABI compatibility a greater concern? My impression of
FOSS has always been that compatibility is an easier issue because the
source for most things is always available. Perhaps having a consistent ABI
versioning story for libc++ is something that should be looked into?