[cfe-dev] Memory and time consumption for larger files, mistake in measurement

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Mar 29 09:15:01 PDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 9:10 AM, ihusar wrote:

> Hello, right after I sent previous message, I realized that I had wrong
> paths set,
> sorry for that.
> The previous results were for unoptimized clang,
> here i fix it and results are for optimized clang.
> Now the times match those of llvm-g++, however the huge memory consumption,
> especially compared to standard gcc, did not change.
> I am not sure if this is still a problem, however, on a 32-bit machine,
> it will not be possible to compile the testing code.

The memory consumption still looks like it could be an issue. However, we still need to know which part of the compiler is requiring so much memory: I'm guessing it's the LLVM back-end, since both llvm-g++ and clang++ are affected (and we've rarely seen Clang itself take more memory than GCC). Could you measure the memory usage difference between using -fsyntax-only and using -emit-llvm?

	- Doug