[cfe-dev] Summer of Code ideas

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:51:37 PDT 2010

> Maybe. Only one problem. I don't have any AVR chips to test with, only
> some MSP430s.

If you were to work on this I would happily send you a pile of AVR-based
TinyOS nodes.

But really, an AVR simulator would be a lot easier to start with and there
are several good free ones.

> Maybe I should work on the MSP430 backend instead.

Anton Korobeynikov is the author of this backend, and is its main hacker.
This search will give you a good idea of the current status:

http://llvm.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&content=msp430&product=&query_format=specific&order=bug_id&query_based_on=

Once this backend is functionally correct (enough), there will be a lot of
tweaking and tuning to do.  This would be a lot of fun, I think.  I'm
convinced that with not too much added work, LLVM can be as a good an
embedded compiler as the solid commercial ones such as IAR.

> Also, there are other tools like mig (not to be confused with a tool by
> the same name needed to build the XNU kernel) and nesdoc that operate on
> nesC code. It might be worthwhile to rewrite them, too, to be clang-based.

Just MHO, but this sounds like a lot of work for minimal benefit.

John