[cfe-dev] Newbie question on scan-build

Luong Nguyen-Duy Luong.Nguyen-Duy at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 19 11:05:06 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am in need of some static code analyzer.  I need a tool which can
track variables def/use accross function
boundary.

Following is a description of my problem:

I have a function A in which one of the incoming argument is declared as
(uint8_t *).   Function A will assign values to this incoming argument:

int A (uint_8 *i) {   *i = 255 };

now I need to change it to (uint32_t *)

Obviously I will need to track down all places which invoke function A,
and make changes to those
local variables, and recursively if a function B calls function A and
pass into A B's incoming argument I will
need to track down all invocation of B as well.  Example below:

int B () {

unint_8  j;    // NEED TO CATCH THIS

A(&j);

k = *j;

}

int C (unint_8 *k)

A(k);    // NEED TO CATCH THIS

}

So the question is can I use scan-build to accomplish this?

Thanks much,

Luong