[cfe-dev] unknown type name __thiscall

Stefan Seefeld stefan.seefeld at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:54:26 PDT 2010

On 03/16/2010 05:48 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Stephen Deken wrote:
>

>> Hello list,
>>
>> I'm getting strange errors emitted by clang++ on Windows 7 (built
>> using Visual Studio 9 from trunk) when attempting to compile C++ code
>> that includes the VC9 headers:
>>
>> cfetest.cpp:
>>
>> 	#include<iostream>
>> 	using namespace std;
>> 	int main( int, char** ) {
>> 		cout<<"hello world!"<<endl;
>> 		return 0;
>> 	}
>>
>> This emits 122 errors.  Some are about __thiscall, which clang/clang++
>> apparently doesn't define,
>>
> No, we don't define that. We could (and probably should).

Pardon me for jumping in here, but this brings up a high-level design
question I have:

With the Synopsis parsers I used the approach of emulating external
(real) compilers, by scanning for them, and using heuristics to figure
out what symbols they would expect and emit, as well as where they store
system headers.

Thus, my parser wouldn't need to do any of this.

How does this work with CLang ? Does it know anything about specific
platforms ? What do I need to feed in to get an environment similar to,
say, GCC ?

Thanks,
         Stefan