[cfe-dev] Using an AST as a higher level interface to LLVM: getting started

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Tue Mar 16 04:38:01 PDT 2010

On 12 March 2010 18:30, Martin C.Martin <martin at martincmartin.com> wrote:
> How should I get started?

By reading the documentation, tutorials and FAQs:
http://llvm.org/docs/
http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/
http://llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html
http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html

I've done a similar "experimental project" last year, hope that helps:
http://www.systemcall.org/rengolin/stuff/compiler/
http://www.systemcall.org/rengolin/stuff/compiler/download/LLVM-pet-project.pdf

> Can I just new the nodes I need and
> point them at each other?  Is there any non-obvious setup I need to do
> first?

Using regular pointers shouldn't be a problem... Normally, you build
the AST once, don't delete nodes, use it once and discard everything
altogether.

cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at