[cfe-dev] bugzilla change

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Mar 11 23:02:37 PST 2010

>>> Can we get rid of the unnecessarily refined categories? From my
>>> perspective, we rarely use the large list of components and products
>>> that we have, and they just complicate things for users.
>>>
>>> For Clang, for example, I think we could get away with
>>> {Sema,C++,Codegen,[C++0x],Documentation} without any loss of
>>> functionality.
>>
>> Yes, I plan to clean up the llvm components as well, adding a top level code generation component etc.
>>
>> If you tell me how you want the clang components, I'm happy to fix them.
>
> I talked this over with Doug and Ted, lets remove: AST, Basic, Lex,
> Parse, Sema, Driver, Headers, Preprocessor and replace them with a
> single "Frontend" component. That leaves us with:
>
> -New Bugs: New bugs can be filed here, no need to categorize.
> Frontend: Issues in the preprocessor, parser, and semantic analyzer.
> LLVM Codegen: Issues with the translation to LLVM intermediate
> representation (IR).
> Static Analyzer: Automatic Bug Finding, scan-build, etc
> C++: C++ Related Issues
> C++0x: Issues related to the implementation of the upcoming C++0x standard.

Ok, I merged a bunch of stuff, we now have:

1. New bugs
2. C++
3. C++'0x
4. Documentation
5. Driver
6. Frontend
7. Headers
8. LLVM Codegen
9. Static Analyzer

Merging the driver and headers into "frontend" didn't seem right, but if you guys really want to do that, I can, just let me know.  I tend to agree that C++'0x should just be a keyword.  For that matter, C++ as a whole could be a keyword since it is orthogonal from the "where" in Clang it is.  Any thoughts or objection to that?

-Chris