[cfe-dev] Source code documentation

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Tue Mar 9 13:42:49 PST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> On 03/09/2010 04:17 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:

>>> Does LLVM participate in GSoC this year ? If so, could we formulate a project that helps with this (quite substantial) work ?
>>>
>> Yes and yes!
>>

> OK, great. Let me play with the code a bit, then we may talk about how this project could shape up.

Sounds good.

>> That makes sense. Comment parsing will all be done within Synopsis, I assume?
>>

> Yes. At present the parser attaches comments to the next declaration it finds, from where Synopsis then picks it up to process it further (extract processing instructions, documentation, whatever).

Okay. We don't really have this functionality in Clang yet. Comments are passed through to the AST consumer, and we have a hack that tries to find the comment associated with a declaration after the fact, but this will need work.

> Also, in one mode of operation Synopsis wants to get a position-correct picture of the entire preprocessed source file, so it can generate a hyperlinked and otherwise styled version of it. Does CLang provide this level of detail ?

Internally, yes. There isn't enough information exposed via the CIndex interface to do this (but I'd support extending CIndex in this direction).

	- Doug