[cfe-dev] Clang failing lots of FrontendC* tests

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Sat Mar 6 21:09:36 PST 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:47 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> I managed to convince check-lit to run the FrontendC tests using clang
> by applying the following patch to my config.status (yes, it's a hack,
> and you'll have to change the paths to match your system):
>
> =========
> 661,664c661,664
> < s, at LLVMGCCCOMMAND@,|#_!!_#|llvm-gcc,g
> < s, at LLVMGXXCOMMAND@,|#_!!_#|llvm-g++,g
> < s, at LLVMGCC@,|#_!!_#|,g
> < s, at LLVMGXX@,|#_!!_#|,g
> ---
>> s, at LLVMGCCCOMMAND@,|#_!!_#|/Users/jyasskin/src/llvm/clang/install/bin/clang,g
>> s, at LLVMGXXCOMMAND@,|#_!!_#|/Users/jyasskin/src/llvm/clang/install/bin/clang++,g
>> s, at LLVMGCC@,|#_!!_#|/Users/jyasskin/src/llvm/clang/install/bin/clang,g
>> s, at LLVMGXX@,|#_!!_#|/Users/jyasskin/src/llvm/clang/install/bin/clang++,g
> 675,676c675,676
> < s, at LLVMGCCDIR@,|#_!!_#|,g
> < s, at LLVMGCC_LANGS@,|#_!!_#|,g
> ---
>> s, at LLVMGCCDIR@,|#_!!_#|/Users/jyasskin/src/llvm/clang/install/bin,g
>> s, at LLVMGCC_LANGS@,|#_!!_#|c\,c++\,objc\,obj-c++,g
> ========
>
> The following 110 tests failed, although the LLVMC ones don't look
> like real failures, and some of the ObjC ones are just warnings. I
> intend to just ignore these failures in my own testing, but I thought
> you guys might like to know. The full check-lit output is attached.

Our view on the FrontendC* tests is that they're testing very specific behaviors of llvm-gcc that we don't necessarily care about for Clang. At some point, I'd like to look at the failures to convince myself that these tests aren't uncovering real bugs, but even when I do... I'd rather move the useful tests in Clang's regression test suite.

	- Doug