[cfe-dev] Triple-related failures on clang-i686-xp-msvc9

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Thu Mar 4 06:10:28 PST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 5:08 AM, Daniel Dunbar wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Jakob Stoklund Olesen wrote:
>>> A bunch of clang tests are failing on Windows with:
>>>
>>> error: unable to create target: 'No available targets are compatible with this triple, see -version for the available targets.'
>>>
>>> http://google1.osuosl.org:8011/builders/clang-i686-xp-msvc9
>>>
>>> Could someone take a look, please?
>>>
>>> The error was sneaked in while sabre was blinding the bots with the asm.c failure, so nastygrams were not sent.
>>
>> This is me.  We can no longer -emit-llvm for a Clang target without having built the corresponding LLVM target, and apparently that buildbot disables all targets except X86.
>
> The buildbot only builds X86 because its a slow machine.

Okay.  That seems like a good reason, and Ted is right anyway, we need to support clients who don't enable all targets.

I think we should probably continue (*) to require the x86-32/64 target in order to run the test suite:  it's good to have a standard target, it guarantees that we're testing codegen at two different pointer widths, most codegen tests are written against it, and the vast majority of developers will be running on it anyway.  So if we can agree on how to conditionalize tests based on targets, then I'll add the appropriate conditions to the (7 or so) tests that break on optional-targets builds, then reintroduce the target dependency from r97693.

John.

(*)  There are currently several codegen tests which test assembly output.  That's probably unfortunate, but it does mean that the test suite already depends on the existence of the x86 target.