[cfe-dev] LTO on FreeBSD

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Wed Jun 30 09:04:05 PDT 2010

> Ah, I had been curious about this as well. Is the long-term goal for llvm-ld to be a full drop-in replacement for the system linker?

Looks hard, as it would have to be really generic to support all the
different systems.

> So, my original assumption that the OS X clang is using ld with the gold plugins was correct? If so, I'm curious where it's hidden away. I see a lot of libLLVMContainer.dylib files under the /Developer tree, but no files relating to "gold" anywhere.

There is a gold plugin. That should work on freebsd, but yes, gold is
gpl3. If working on the bsd linker, you should be able to implement a
plugin support just use libLTO directly.

Note that you probably also have to update nm and ar. The GNU ones can
use the same plugin as gold.

> Thanks for all the helpful info!
> -SK

Cheers,