[cfe-dev] building llvm and clang on Mac OS X

Dave Yost Dave at Yost.com
Mon Jul 26 16:31:00 PDT 2010

At 3:51 PM -0700 2010-07-26, Chris Lattner wrote:
>On Jul 25, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Dave Yost wrote:
>>Regarding downloading, building, and installing llvm and clang, these pages
>>   http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#quickstart
>>   http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
>>have a lot of English text that a user has to translate correctly
>>into shell commands.
>>
>>I think a shell script is preferable to manual-labor instructions.
>>Like instructions for manual labor, a script can be human readable,
>>but a script is also unambiguous and clear, not to mention that it
>>is directly usable, without mistakes in translation from prose to
>>shell commands.
>>
>>For many users the script will be all they need, and if not, it
>>makes a great starting point for customization. The attached script
>>is what I used. I offer it to you.
>
>Great!  Please send it to cfe-dev :)

I used that script to build and install the latest svn pull. But it
doesn't work!

Thu 11:41:16 ip2 yost /Volumes/x/llvm
0 244 Z% cat x.cc
void foo(void) {}
Thu 11:41:19 ip2 yost /Volumes/x/llvm
0 245 Z% clang++ x.cc
error: unable to execute command: . is not executable
error: clang frontend command failed due to signal 1 (use -v to see invocation)

The released binary clang++ doesn't exhibit this problem.

Some more notes about installation

1. The instructions don't say to do
     gmake install

2. For me, gmake install created these with restrictive permissions:
     /usr/local/docs
     /usr/local/include/llvm*
     /usr/local/include/clang*

3. gmake uninstall did not remove