[cfe-dev] RFC: Clang Automatic Bug Reporting

Christopher Jefferson chris at bubblescope.net
Wed Jul 21 03:41:13 PDT 2010

On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:44, Daniel Dunbar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It would be great if Clang provided better support for users who want to file
> bugs. We frequently have to go through multiple iterations to get all the data
> we need, and we also sometimes run into cases where it is very hard / impossible
> to reproduce a problem locally. The latter problems tend to show up frequently
> with precompiled headers or supplemental files like header maps, where they
> depend very much on the build system and the layout of source on the users
> system -- such tests can be a real pain to analyze right now.

I have done a fair amount of work on generating and reducing clang bugs. As time goes on, the bugs found are involving more complex code. I think a good system like you describe would be a good idea. The VFS seems like a good idea. I will just say a few words on automatic reduction. The short version is "I wouldn't try it, at least as a first pass", although anonymisation is a good idea.

Automatic reduction can be very expensive. A bug involving boost can often lead to megabytes of pre-processed code, and > 10 second compile times. In this situation, any kind of testcase reduction can bisection can take a day or longer. We should certainly warn users before we start running such a process!

I don't know how much better a clang-based system could do. I would suggest concentrating on anonymizing rather than auto-minimizing test cases, although anonymization would probably involve some degree of reduction. I think the important thing for users is that it is fast, and removes as many details of their code as possible. Rather than worrying about it being particularlysmaller.

I imagine that quite a lot of progress could be made on anonymisation by a certainly degree of random shuffling, for example randomly swapping < for > or == (allowing for overloaded operators of course), adding and removing constants, changing names. This wouldn't always work, but would be quick, and likely make the code extremely hard to reconstruct.

For reduction I use a cobbled-together bunch of scripts. These are fairly successful, if fairly expensive. One problem with automatic testcase reduction is trying to keep the code valid, if it was originally, is usually a good idea. I do this by using g++, which at least produces an approximation of "valid" ;)

The main thing I find my code cannot reduce well (as it does not understand C++ is)

1) Constructions involving things like enable_if,
2) Removing parameters to functions and templates which are not used (which can be a big help if those parameters are some very complex type), as they have to be removed at both the definition and call sites at the same time.

This of course ignores one big class of bugs, "wrong result" bugs (as opposed to the compiler misbehaving). Reducing such bugs is extremely difficult. The best I have done is simultaneously running the reduced code through g++ and clang++, and running the resulting executables valgrind (to try to avoid the code happening to produce the correct result while reading from uninitialized memory). Even with this, such reductions usually end up in an incorrect local minima if attempted automatically.