[cfe-dev] Getting meta-data into Clang's AST

Stefan Seefeld stefan.seefeld at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:37:03 PDT 2010

On 07/02/2010 01:22 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:

>> I noticed comments seem to be completely stripped; is
>> this the case or did I mis-read something?
>>
> Yes, this is the case, although it was actually a recent chang. See
>
> 	http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=99007
>
> where I ripped out our handling of comments because they were completely unused. I'm not opposed to bringing comments back if they're actually going to be used for something real *cough* Doxygen parsing *cough*.

I'm actually looking into this (not Doxygen, mind you, but Synopsis). I
tried a little with the CIndex API, and concluded that it's likely more
efficient to use the AST API directly (the RecursiveASTVisitor,
notably), and I'm prepared for frequent adjustments. (This code will be
as much "in development" as CLang itself, though perhaps with the next
(2.8) release things will be sufficiently stable for me to be able to do
an official Synopsis release using that API.)

As soon as I have some basic LLVM AST -> Synopsis ASG translation
working, I'll come back with requests for comments (pun intended ! ;-) ).

FWIW,
         Stefan