[cfe-dev] wint_t definition

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Tue Jan 5 16:39:11 PST 2010

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:18:11PM +1030, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In playing around with Clang I came across the attached C snippet
> which compiles with GCC but fails with Clang. This appears to be
> because GCC defines the wint_t type in stddef.h where Clang doesn't
> (changing the wctype.h include to wchar.h does away with the whole
> issue: wchar_t is defined and the wint_t issue becomes
> non-existent).

I encountered the same problem recently and looked into why it was
happening. I concluded that this glibc change probably had something to
do with it:

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=5703f4727380ca751da51a94664689b5e97dc89f

(specifically the last hunk of the diff).

> Should Clang be defining wint_t in stddef.h or is GCC at fault here
> (i.e. shouldn't be defining it there)? This bug shows up when
> configuring pkg-config's bundled glib[1]; at a high level, trying to
> build the bundled glib fails because some unrecognised parameters
> are passed to Clang. The parameters being passed to Clang were
> different to the ones being passed to GCC, so I had a poke around in
> the config.log to check for something going awry and found this
> issue*. Should I file a bug?

Judging by the wording of the standard (wchar.h should be included in
wctype.h to provide wint_t, as I understand it) it looks like this is a
glibc quirk. I felt it was easier to bodge my code to include wchar.h
before wctype.h than to get this fixed but good luck to you if you
attempt to do so.

Andrew