[cfe-dev] numbered warnings & errors?

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Jan 5 10:51:11 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not in a particular rush to see this problem solved though,
>>> because a lot of the value of having stable warning numbers/names is
>>> in the stability, so letting our diagnostics bake for a while is good.
>>
>> Agreed. What I *don't* want is for us to feel restricted by an existing
>> numbering system, where we don't want to improve diagnostics (e.g., by
>> splitting one diagnostic into several) because some users may have
>> suppressed that diagnostic with a pragma.
>
> How is this different and better than the existing warning group stuff?
>  They are already hierarchical and unique.  The only difference is that they
> aren't in reverse dotted form?

The notable difference is that each warning does not have a unique
hierarchical identifier which also functions as its canonical name
(i.e., in documentation). We have an ad-hoc naming convention for
diagnostics in the code, but those names aren't exposed.

>From the perspective of warning groups, most diagnostics have no name,
some have multiple names, and the names as visible to the user are
totally unrelated to the internal diagnostic names.

 - Daniel