[cfe-dev] error: initialized if it is a static const integral data member

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Feb 19 11:06:13 PST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Rene Rebe wrote:
>> We very well might eventually implement a "heinous g++ compatibility mode", but I hope you can understand that it is not our current focus.  This is far from the most important compatibility problem that will face C++ code written against g++'s extremely lax implementation;  two-phase lookup problems are much more prevalent and cannot just be patched over without severely compromising the design, efficiency, and diagnostic quality of our template system.
>
> Of course I understand that. I was just trying to help by running TOT over some real world code, and frankly that was just the first (C++) one I tried, ...

Don't get me wrong, the effort is appreciated.  I'm just letting you know that we do consider this an error in the user program.  We could probably reasonably support this as an extension in gnuc++98 mode;  we'd have to evaluate its implications, though.

> Shall I open a bugzilla entry for this issue?

Please.  In fact, please file bugs for all of these.

John.