[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Function-level metadata for OpenCL (was Re: OpenCL support)

David Neto dneto.llvm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:21:18 PST 2010

However we record the fact that a function is a kernel, the mechanism
should handle the case of a kernel calling another kernel.
Recall that a kernel called by another kernel behaves more like a
regular function.  For example it doesn't have workspace iteration
automatically applied to it; rather it just adopts the work item of
the caller.

About using a calling convention to mark a function as a kernel.  It
seems a handy place to hang it, but is it really exclusive of the
other calling conventions?
In particular, does that approach nicely in the case where a CPU is
running the kernels?  Does that lead to special casing or duplication
in the code generator?  For example, you still have to know what
"real" calling convention to use when a kernel is running on a CPU.
(Forgive my ignorance.)

thanks,
david