[cfe-dev] Reflection

Russell Harmon russ at eatnumber1.com
Mon Dec 13 05:49:19 PST 2010

I'm looking to possibly add support for reflection to clang & llvm.
I'm thinking it would work something like the following:

- clang inserts reflection information into the compiled bitcode
  - does debugging symbols provide enough information already?
  - should this be a new symbol table, or an extension of the debugging symbols?
- I write a c library which using the symbols from the compiled
binary, allows you to do reflection
  - A typeof() or similar builtin will be necessary
- I'll need to eventually modify llvm's optimizer somehow so that it
doesn't break the reflection information

Thoughts?
This is going to be my introduction to the llvm & clang code base, so
any advice on where to start?

-Russell Harmon