[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Handling multi-platform configuration.

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Sun Dec 12 07:09:25 PST 2010

On 11 Dec 2010, at 16:56, C. Bergström wrote:

> If someone wants a GPL compatible version they already have the GNU implementation.

Then they have to maintain two C++ library implementations in the base system, and programs need to make sure that they are using the one that the libraries that they depend on are linked against, which would cause huge headaches (more so than having a single break-the-word migration).

> Isn't that a big part of reason people are working on this?  (By "this" I mean to move away from GPL2 and especially v3)  Isn't FreeBSD trying to make v9 or v10 fully GPL free in the base system?  I'd say doing this would be a strong move in that direction..

There are still a few GPL'd C++ things in the FreeBSD base system, so they could replace libstdc++ with libc++, but if they imported libstdcxx then they'd need to replace all of these things at the same time, which makes incremental replacement harder.

Some downstream projects from FreeBSD (e.g. PC-BSD) also ship some GPL'd C++ tools that would not qualify for the system library exemption with an Apache licensed C++ lib.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom