[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Handling multi-platform configuration.

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Sat Dec 11 06:21:48 PST 2010

On 2010-12-11 04:20, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> This is *exactly* why it would be greatly appreciated if people would
> help improve stdcxx [1] instead of trying to just write everything from
> scratch.  Regardless whatever superficial evaluation has been done I'd
> kindly ask any volunteers to reevaluate this.
>
> Martin, on cc, who worked on this codebase for 10 years and is on the
> C++ standards committee can chime in if he likes.

Unfortunately, the stdcxx library is under the Apache License 2.0, which
is not acceptable for many people, projects and companies.  (Note I am
*not* saying anything about the quality of it, which may very well be
excellent; I haven't looked at that.)

Also, the "Why a new C++ Standard Library for C++'0x?" FAQ on the libc++
site says:

"STLport and the Apache libstdcxx library are two other popular
candidates, but both lack C++'0x support. Our experience (and the
experience of libstdc++ developers) is that adding support for C++0x (in
particular rvalue references and move-only types) requires changes to
almost every class and function, essentially amounting to a rewrite.
Faced with a rewrite, we decided to start from scratch and evaluate
every design decision from first principles based on experience."