[cfe-dev] [compiler-rt] [Patch] Support for NX stacks

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Wed Dec 8 11:53:56 PST 2010

Hello all,

Kostik Belousov is currently working on a patchset for FreeBSD to make no-exec stacks work on i386 and amd64. Support for this is long overdue, but limitations to the way signal handling is implemented on those architectures has made it a bit tougher to implement this.

If I understand the patchset correctly, processes will only use a no-exec stack if the executable and its libraries don't depend on it being executable. This is done by adding a marker to all object files. For C files, this seems to be done automatically, but for assembly files, we need to mark them manually.

Kostik is proposing the following patchset to be committed to FreeBSD HEAD:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/nxstack.2.patch

Would it be possible for the compiler-rt changes (in contrib/compiler-rt) to get upstreamed? Thanks.

--
Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
WWW: http://80386.nl/