[cfe-dev] [libcxx] build system questions

Michael Spencer bigcheesegs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:49:29 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:01 AM, sashan wrote:

>>>     a minute.
>>>     speed
>>>     checking and
>>>     A The list of
>>>     because they
>>>
>>>     Yeah I can look into this. What are your thoughts on using
>>>     autoconf/automake for this?
>>>     The 'parent' projects clang and llvm use them.
>>>
>>>   For reference, they don't use automake, and autoconf is one of the most
>>>   painful constructs ever devised in the realm of build systems. I would
>>>   want evidence of a very large problem indeed before solving it with
>>>   autoconf, and there doesn't seem to be one currently.
>>
>> I don't really care for the autotools stuff either. I suggested it because it
>> was in use by the parent projects and it's widely used in other projects.
>
> As soon as things get either expensive to build, or complicated to configure, I'm going to rebel.  But if things stay fast and simple, I'm ok.  I'd much rather have fast, simple and primitive, than slow, complicated and complex.
>
> I think we should start out with a simple question:  What problem are we attempting to solve?
>
> -Howard

If we want Windows support (which I do :P), CMake is the way to go.
I'm willing to do it, targeting POSIX-like platforms for now, as doing
a Windows port is a much larger project. It's also possible to do it
without requiring explicit source lists, even though there aren't that
many to begin with.

- Michael Spencer