[cfe-dev] make check failures

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 10:05:07 PST 2010

On 3 December 2010 19:02, Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2010, at 3:41 AM, Jay Foad wrote:
>
>> When I configure LLVM --with-llvmgcc --with-llvmgxx, make check-all
>> reports loads of stuff ending with:
>>
>>   [...]
>>   LLVM :: Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll
>>   [...]
>>
>> Here's one of the failures, picked at random:
>>

>> ********************
>> FAIL: LLVM :: Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll (7914 of 8396)
>> ******************** TEST 'LLVM ::
>> Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll' FAILED ********************
>> Script:
>> --
>> opt <
>> /home/jay/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/test/Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll
>> -scalarrepl -S | FileCheck
>>
>> /home/jay/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/test/Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll
>> --
>> Exit Code: 1
>> Command Output (stderr):
>> --
>>
>> /home/jay/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/test/Transforms/ScalarRepl/vector_promote.ll:99:15:
>> error: expected string not found in input
>> ; CHECK-NEXT: bitcast <2 x float> %X to i64
>>             ^
>> <stdin>:48:18: note: scanning from here
>> define i64 @test6(<2 x float> %X) {
>>                ^
>> <stdin>:49:9: note: possible intended match here
>> %tmp = bitcast <2 x float> %X to <1 x i64> ; <<1 x i64>> [#uses=1]
>>       ^
>> --
>> Is this the "disaster" of which Daniel spake?
>
> I don't think so, llvm-gcc is not involved at all in running that test.
> This looks more like you're picking up an old version of "opt" somehow.  The
> output for this test changed about a month ago and the result you're getting
> is consistent with what it looked like before the change.

I eventually worked out what was going on.

I configured llvm --with-llvmgcc=.../install/llvm-gcc. In that same
install directory was an old binary of "opt" which I had carelessly
left there from another install ages ago.

"make check" seems to use any "opt" which it happens to find in the
same directory as llvm-gcc, in preference to the "opt" which you have
just built, which seems a bit unfriendly.

Thanks,
Jay.