[cfe-dev] [libcxx] build system questions

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Dec 6 03:18:23 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM, sashan <sashan at zenskg.net> wrote:

> > > Of course, that does not solve the dependency problem, but at least I
> > > did not experience any problems with .dylib afterwards.
> >
> > On the dependency-checking issue:  The build time is currently about a
> minute.
> > Imho this does not rise to the level of needing dependency checking to
> speed
> > things up.  That being said, if someone wants to add dependency checking
> and
> > it /does/ result in a speedup, I'd welcome it.  One requirement:  The
> list of
> > headers and sources must be implicit.  I dislike explicit lists because
> they
> > seem to me a continual source of errors.
>
> Yeah I can look into this. What are your thoughts on using
> autoconf/automake for this?
> The 'parent' projects clang and llvm use them.

For reference, they don't use automake, and autoconf is one of the most
painful constructs ever devised in the realm of build systems. I would want
evidence of a very large problem indeed before solving it with autoconf, and
there doesn't seem to be one currently.

If you must bring an advanced build system in here (and I'm not necessarily
advocating it as there doesn't seem to be a need yet) I'd spend my time
looking at CMake which LLVM and Clang also use, works better for
cross-platform development, and is generally saner than autotools. Sadly, it
also works best with explicit lists of files. =/