[cfe-dev] [libcxx] build system questions

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Sun Dec 5 07:04:25 PST 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 4:44 AM, Bjorn Reese wrote:

> On 2010-12-05 05:29, sashan wrote:
>
>> I downloaded libcxx and built it. I noticed that the buildit script doesn't do
>> dependency checking. It seems pretty non-standard. Most projects' build system
>
> While I agree with you, we should keep in mind that libcxx is mainly
> written by a single person, and he has presumably not had the need for
> any cross-platform build system yet. But I am sure that he would welcome
> contributions to improve this situation.
>
> I simply made my own wrapper scripts to circumvent to problem on Linux.
> Instead of calling buildit directly I used the script below:
>
> export CC=g++
> export RC_FLAGS="-Wall -std=c++0x"
> export RC_BUILDIT=1
> ${SHELL} buildit

Thanks Bjorn.

> Of course, that does not solve the dependency problem, but at least I
> did not experience any problems with .dylib afterwards.

On the dependency-checking issue:  The build time is currently about a minute.  Imho this does not rise to the level of needing dependency checking to speed things up.  That being said, if someone wants to add dependency checking and it /does/ result in a speedup, I'd welcome it.  One requirement:  The list of headers and sources must be implicit.  I dislike explicit lists because they seem to me a continual source of errors.

-Howard