[cfe-dev] CFG: scopes and destructors

Jordy Rose jediknil at belkadan.com
Wed Aug 11 12:26:15 PDT 2010

I'm less familiar with the CFG than with its clients, but FWIW I agree
with Ted. The notion of "scope" does not have a one-to-one mapping onto any
/control flow/ structures.

Remember, the CFG is only used for analysis, not code generation. We don't
need to know about "scope" in and of itself -- it's only important for
cleanup functions. (And with the attribute((cleanup(xyz))) extension, it's
not limited to destructors...but we can worry about that later.)

"Scopes" also aren't so useful when you consider branches that don't
rejoin. Consider this function:

int PerformComputation (int x) {
  if (DEBUG)
    return 0;

  while (!Satisfactory(x)) {
    if (x == 0)
      break;
    Computation C = Compute(x);
    if (!C)
      break;
    x = C.getResult();
  }

  return x;
}

Clearly a little contrived, but the point stands -- ~C is called at two
different points in the CFG ("during" the break, and at the end of the
loop, and not on every path in its scope. So to properly represent
destructors, we're probably going to have duplicated destructor elements.

This isn't inherently a bad thing, but it does show that "scope" is not as
useful as it seems at first.

Why would we want distinct CFGElements for destructors? Because the way
our path sensitive analysis works is by going from CFGElement to
CFGElement. If we can determine where a destructor is invoked, we could
probably even just treat it as a simple CXXMethodCall, since we don't have
to worry about the deletion aspects.

If we had the DestroyThese element (or LeavingScope, or whatever) you
suggest, we could stick several object destructors into a single
CFGElement. But when we simulate the execution of these, we'd basically
unwrap the destructors into several conceptual elements anyway. And since
one destructor can affect the behavior of the next (consider a double-free
of shared memory), there's clearly a point "between" two destructors.

Finally, the fact that temporaries have destructors too suggests that it'd
be useful to allow destructors in the middle of CFGBlocks as well.

I (also) am not insisting on separate elements for separate destructors,
but it seems that even if the CFG is more complicated, clients will have an
easier time with separate elements.

This whole time I've been dancing around the issue of how to generate
destructors. I think we're going to need some variation of the
forward-sweep-then-backwards-CFG, though I haven't thought about it much,
just because a purely backwards traversal would have a hard time dealing
with the branching example I gave above. (Or so it seems to me.) A
forward-first traversal could build a list of Decls, which could be used
something like this: "any time you leave this scope you have to run the
destructors for all elements in the list; any time you see a Decl, it
should be removed from the list". A first-pass approximation of a rule, of
course.

I also wish we could re-use some of the main compiler's logic for where to
insert destructors. I kind of doubt this is possible, but it'd be nice if
we didn't have to duplicate this in the CFG-building code, possibly
inserting mistakes along the way.

Oh, and I agree about putting constructor initializers in as new
CFGElements. For the most part they behave just like Decls anyway.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:07:48 +0200, Marcin Świderski
<marcin.sfider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Thank you for this very detailed response.
>
> CFGScope serves two purposes in what I thought of:
> 1. It describes the scope and it's relation with enclosing scope.
> 2. It allows for easy iteration through declarations (DeclStmts) we need
> call destructors for.
>
> Combining those two things is maybe not the best idea, so further on I
will
> concetrate on destructors only.
>
> What you wrote about forward traversing e.g. CompondStmt to spot all
> declarations we need to call destructors for was exactly what I thought
of.
> However adding one CFGElement for each destructor call is unnecessery I
> think. What I thought of was using data stored in CFGScope to provide
list
> of all declarations that needs destructors to be called for them. Now I
> think that it would be better to use some other structure just for
> destructors that could be even hidden from the client.
>
> So I think that we could create CFGElement that would be placed at
point,
> where destructors are called. It would provide, through iterators
> interface,
> list of declarations that needs destructors to be called for them.
>
> Pros:
> 1. Less memory used (in most cases I think), because each destructor
will
> have one entry in some list, then we will have just one CFGElement for
each
> point where destructors are called.
> 2. Should be more robust, because less work will be done.
> 3. Easier implementation for goto statements.
>
> Cons:
> 1. Maybe a little less intuitive interface, because having one
CFGElement
> for each destructor call is somehow more readable.
>
> So do you think that I can go on with my idea (for destructors only) or
the
> one-CFGElement-for-one-desctructor-call is more desired?
>
> W dniu 11 sierpnia 2010 08:21 użytkownik Ted Kremenek
> <kremenek at apple.com>napisał:
>
> Hi Marcin,
>>
>> First, I want to thank you for working on this.  Adding support for
>> destructors, and possibly scopes, to the CFG is something that is
sorely
>> needed for analyzing C++ code.
>>
>> At the risk of sounding pedantic, I think when evaluating our possible
>> approaches it's really important to keep in mind both *how* the
>> information
>> in the CFG will be used to service clients and *what* information the
>> CFG is
>> meant to represent.  Second, I think we shouldn't focus on the
>> implementation details (e.g., "the builder is processing AST
backwards")
>> of
>> how we would construct the information before we have an idea of what
the
>> right API is for accessing the information in its final form.  The
whole
>> point of the CFG is to make it easier to write analyses, so having a
good
>> API that represents useful information is the primary goal.
>>
>> That's all well and good, but what does that mean?  First let's step
back
>> and examine what purpose the CFG serves.  The CFG is meant to represent
>> control-flow in a function; nothing more and nothing less.
Representing
> [...]
>> information as well, since when destructors get called is non-trivial,
>> and
>> we don't want individual analyses needing to reconstruct this
>> information.
>>  This is actually far more complicated then when we cross scope
>>  boundaries.
>>
>> To illustrate, consider:
>>
>>   MyClass A;
>>   if (...)
>>     return;  // Destructor for A called
>>   MyClass B;
>>   if (...)
>>     return;  // Destructor for B called, followed by destructor for A
>>   if (...) {
>>     MyClass C;
>>     return; // Destructor C called, followed by destructor for B,
>>     followed
>> by destructor for A
>>   }
>>   return;  // Destructor B called, followed by destructor for A
>>
>> In the comments, I have listed distinct and well-ordered function
calls.
>>  This example is fairly simple, but if you consider adding things like
>> exceptions, C++ temporaries, etc., we have an abundance of destructor
>> calls
>> that can be called at different times.  We certainly do not want
>> individual
>> analyses built on the CFG to have to reconstruct this information from
>> the
>> raw scope information.  Also, we want to be able to model individual
>> destructor calls, particularly if any of them can throw exceptions or
do
>> something else crazy that impacts control-flow (e.g., call a no-return
>> function).  For the purpose of diagnostics from analyses (think of the
>> static analyzer), we want to know (relatively speaking) where a
>> destructor
>> was called.
>>
>> This is why, fundamentally, I think destructors need to be explicitly
>> represented in the CFG.  Dataflow analyses need to know when
destructors
>> are
>> called and in what order, and they need to model this precisely and
>> easily.
>>  Scopes are obviously and important part of reasoning about
constructors,
>> and for the CFGBuilder to model destructors in the CFG it will need to
>> reason about scopes.  That, however, is different than having the scope
>> information you described as 'CFGScope' being associated with the CFG
>> itself.
>>
>> Now let's consider implementation.  Indeed there is an interesting
>> challenge in doing this in CFGBuilder because we process the AST
>> backwards.
>>  Processing it backwards, however, will actually allow us to readily
>> determine the right destructor calls *if* we can readily know the
current
>> set of objects in a given scope that need their destructors called.
I'm